Journey to a One Arm Handstand: a Rookie Frat's Journey

Post all bodyweight (handstands, Planche, bar skills, rope etc.), though not specifically rings related material/questions here.
Matt Chow

Journey to a One Arm Handstand: a Rookie Frat's Journey

Postby Matt Chow » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:11 am

Hello my fellow Ring Frats,
I have been always inspired by the talented members of this great fraternity! Now's the time for me to step it up--my handstands are horrible! A wise man told me, "if you can't pull off the movement, take a step back and work on the preceding progression".

I am using this topic blog to start keeping myself accountable in my training on a weekly basis of my progress. The handstand is a tremendous training tool that has great value to anyone, not just gymnasts, to take their training to the next level and opens up a wider range of skills that can be attempted in gymnastics!

Wish me luck, I encourage your feedback! Aside from my training updates and thoughts, I hope to start uploading training videos and photos as well to document the evolution of this process.

Let's get pressive!

Matt Chow
Ring Frat
Calgary, AB, Canada

Tyson

Re: Journey to a One Arm Handstand: a Rookie Frat's Journey

Postby Tyson » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:25 pm

Good luck Matt :)

I'll be keeping an eye on this topic

Matt Chow

Postby Matt Chow » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:23 pm

Thanks Tyson,
So far my routine involves:
1. Wrist stretching
2. Head stands (bent leg and slow extension to straight leg)--trying to hold for 2 minutes
3. Wall stands (face towards wall)--trying to only allow my head and the ends of my toes maintain as contact points against the wall--trying to hold for 2 minutes
4. Kick ups into handstand

I think the wall stands are supposed to focus on maintaining a hollow position while holding a handstand (pelvis tilted out, while tucking in the abs)--(1) any other suggestions on building a solid hollow position?

(2) Any suggestions on bailouts? I find that my roll-outs are messy! am I supposed to collapse fairly quickly?

Cheers Frats,

Matt

Tyson

Postby Tyson » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:28 pm

I wouldn't worry about training head stands for a handstand.

For hollow body position you need to get comfortable with knowing what hollow feels like. Do you know of the 'angry cat' position? It's one of the first skills taught to the little ones when starting gymnastics. The angry cat position engages the ideal muscles for a hollow position so use that as a reference. Once you're confident with how to engage a hollow body position it becomes a matter of consolidating it with lots of practice. You should film yourself as well to critique your technique and also post on here and we'll help you out :)

The two main bail outs are a turn out and the forward roll. The forward roll allows you to try to fight the handstand a bit longer before bailing out of it (if your efforts to correct do not suffice). Stay tight in the forward roll and keep the chin tucked in.

Matt Chow

Postby Matt Chow » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:04 pm

Thanks Tyson,
I looked up the "Angry Cat" movement--thanks! I was able to pull off a One hand static hold against the wall, not too sure if that's a good thing to incorporate while trying to pull off a free-standing one arm.

Do you have any Shoulder prep routines you like to do?
I usually wrap surgical tubing around the lower rungs of the wall bars and do arm circles starting from hip height all the way to above my head--clockwise and counterclockwise about 10 times each-- facing towards the wall and then against the wall.
I will then use a resistance band which is about 15-20lb rated and try to pull it apart above and behind me. I will then try to perform flys with them and then in a strict pushup position focus only on manipulating the scapula

I've now tried to incorporate straight arm shoulder raises while trying to maintain a face to the ground hollow-"ish" position.

Let me know if you have any suggestions. This weekend, I am going to do some more research from this french acrobatic manual on handstands and an old 1900s pdf on old fashioned press to handstand techniques (is it called a japanese handstand?)

Cheers Frats,

Matt Chow

Tyson

Postby Tyson » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:32 pm

Shoulder prep I use stretch tubing and shoulder dislocates with a bar.

Don't forget your wrist warm-ups!

sphyderman

Postby sphyderman » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:58 pm

How's your progress my man? Stay accountable!

Matt Chow

Postby Matt Chow » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:41 am

Thanks for the reminder!
I actually spent the past week acquiring a tripod and finding a camera (i'll be using a xacti trigger grip camcorder).
I'm going to be looking up the requirements for uploading the videos on a youtube channel so that I can post videos here.

Currently:

1) I am able to do a wall one arm handstand--but that's not what i'm wanting; The end goal will be to perform the one arm from a press to handstand without a straddle. (currently I am doing a straddle shifting between hands against the wall for about 10 seconds per arm--I think now I just need to add reps in now that the movement is becoming a bit more familiar.
Body positioning in the weight shifting is something I'd like to get some input on, I am going to read these circus documents and this old strongmen book on the internet and see what I find.

2) Kickup to handstand--I am finding I am becoming more comfortable with the movement; I've found that the headstand exercises where i shift my legs from a tucked to an extended position (while holding a hollow-ish position) is allowing me to become familiar with spinal elongation (I'm still finding i'm a bit piked, but this is helping me be more comfortable with the extention of the legs)
I am holding for about 5 seconds in the handstand--also need to control my excitement :/
I managed to do a 1/4 press down and up...but that was a shear fluke...definitely going to work on developing the awareness of the body position.

3)Press to handstand--I realize this is another method...I have parrallettes at home and feel that might help...however there's that hump at the transition point where the body is piked and the feet need to lift off the ground.
I am thinking the next phase is to perhaps perform this in a straddle or pop one leg up tucked and then followed by the next leg...thoughts?

I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the tips thus far frats.

Matt Chow
Calgary, AB

Matt Chow

Postby Matt Chow » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:00 pm

Update from training tonight:
Still a bit piked in the legs--should the hips be in the open or closed position? any training tips to help deprogram the piking?

sphyderman

Postby sphyderman » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:45 am

Nice update guy, I look forward to seeing some videos!

Return to “Bodyweight”