Journey to a One Arm Handstand: a Rookie Frat's Journey

Post all bodyweight (handstands, Planche, bar skills, rope etc.), though not specifically rings related material/questions here.
Tyson

Re: Journey to a One Arm Handstand: a Rookie Frat's Journey

Postby Tyson » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:45 pm

Not necessarily open or closed. Straight! Youtube accepts most formats Matt, just film and upload :)

Matt Chow

Postby Matt Chow » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:31 pm

Hey!
It's amazing how much more feedback I've gotten for myself just by having a camera to videotape.
I've noticed one thing in my handstand in my kick-up, and I feel like i'm getting so very close to getting to that sweet spot. Bum still sticks out so I'm noticing i'm still in a piked position--going to fix that.

My thoughts on correcting this are to do wall handstands with chest facing the wall and just trying to inch by inch push my bum in or at least squeeze them buns! whilst balancing with my hands; I feel in this drill I can focus on maintaining the neutral line while working building the finger strength to create the counterbalance.

On a side note, what video program do you use to edit your videos...if you want to include some music to make things less boring, are there some restrictions on youtube I need to be aware of?

Matt Chow
Ring Frat, Calgary AB Canada

sphyderman

Postby sphyderman » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:23 pm

I edit my videos with Sony Vegas Movie studio platinum HD, it does basic editing, adding music, text and a few other things. I think it's one of the best editing programs for under $100!

You're not supposed to upload copyrighted material to YouTube, so technically you can't put your favorite beats behind a clip of you busting out moves on the rings however everybody does it anyway. I think the worst that will happen is your vid will get blocked. If you check my vids you will hear some awesome generic tunes, they suck but they are free to use and don't breach any legislation.

Tyson

Postby Tyson » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:29 pm

Matt Chow wrote:Hey!
It's amazing how much more feedback I've gotten for myself just by having a camera to videotape.
I've noticed one thing in my handstand in my kick-up, and I feel like i'm getting so very close to getting to that sweet spot. Bum still sticks out so I'm noticing i'm still in a piked position--going to fix that.

My thoughts on correcting this are to do wall handstands with chest facing the wall and just trying to inch by inch push my bum in or at least squeeze them buns! whilst balancing with my hands; I feel in this drill I can focus on maintaining the neutral line while working building the finger strength to create the counterbalance.

On a side note, what video program do you use to edit your videos...if you want to include some music to make things less boring, are there some restrictions on youtube I need to be aware of?

Matt Chow
Ring Frat, Calgary AB Canada

What's your youtube channel Matt? You should post it in the 'Plug your Media' section as well.

I use Final Cut, what do you use?

Sphyderman pretty much said it all. You can use whatever music you want but when you use material that is not your own you run the risk of it being blocked or having ads placed on or next to your video. If you have a mac, garageband is another program with 'uncopyrighted' tunes. Alternatively, if you have a lovely speaking voice, you could provide an interesting commentary over the video and tell us your thoughts on your progression.

Matt Chow

Postby Matt Chow » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:38 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... RMwz45fZVg

Phase 0--My baseline of skills...which I realize are miserably dirty to look at. Please comment.

Cheers,

Matt

Tyson

Postby Tyson » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:14 am

Just scanned the video during lecture break...

...think about tensing your glutes (as well as your quads, calves and pointing your toes) and opening your shoulders. In general also think about keeping everything tight. Your lower body seems to flop down at times (glute activation should help this).

Return to “Bodyweight”